The Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program is a ten week summer experience that provides high school students with an opportunity to gain leadership and communication skills, practical horticulture experience and be a part of a team. Teen volunteers will work in our Children’s Garden on educational walk-up programs, assist with educational and public events and receive one-on-one training from our expert horticulture staff. While working in this exciting, fast-paced environment, teens will have the opportunity to earn volunteer hours, give back to the community and make new memories and friends.
“I would highly recommend this because it is a great way to serve your community, get volunteer hours and it was just super fun.” – Dalton
“It helps your leadership skills and it helps your social skills as well.” – Emily
“I learned how to mulch, how to trim various plants, how to better interact with people of all ages, and how to handle many responsibilities.” – Ella
“Everything is always laid out perfectly, anyone could understand it.” – Jada
“Thank you for an amazing experience. I will definitely be back next year!” – Rylliee
Qualifications of VolunTEEN Applicants
- Students entering grades 9 – 12.
- Dedicated and have the time to commit to the Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program, including attending all meetings, trainings and scheduled hours.
- Open to interacting with visitors of all ages.
- Comfortable speaking in front of a group, giving instructions, etc.
- Able to get along well with other like-minded high school students and work well in a team atmosphere.
- Interested in learning more about the Myriad Gardens and horticulture.
VolunTEEN Program Schedule
The 2017 VolunTeen Program is June 1 – August 13, 2018. If accepted to the program, each teen will be required to volunteer approximately:
- 18 hours in the Children’s Garden teaching Weekly Walk-ups (3 hr. shifts available Mon.-Thurs. 9:30am-12:30pm)
- 15 hours of public events activities of their choice including Sonic Summer Movie Nights, Bug Out!, Children’s Garden Festival, International Mud Day and more (Calendars will be available that show all of the summer public events and activities and each VolunTEEN will make their own selections. Shifts for Public Events and activities vary in length and days of the week.)
- Two 3-hour shifts with our horticulture staff learning about garden maintenance (Fri. 9:30am-12:30pm) – 6 hours total
- 15 hours of Electives
Teens will also attend one “Matching Interests with Careers” class at the Gardens which covers topics such as how to determine careers that might be right for you, how to prepare for your future career, and how public gardens utilize a variety of staff with different interests, skills, and education (2 hours total.)
At the end of the program VolunTEENS who complete the program will be awarded a certificate of completion and given a detailed letter of completion. Teens who complete the program may also request a letter of recommendation for college applications, employment, etc.
Timeline and Dates for the 2018 VolunTEEN Program
Apply Here: 2018 Myriad Gardens VolunTEEN Application
Deadline to submit applications: Friday, April 6, 2018
Interviews: 4-6pm on Monday, April 17, Wednesday, April 19, Monday, April 23
Notification of Acceptance: Friday, April 27, by 5pm
Meet and Greet & Training: Thursday, May 24, 1-5pm MANDATORY
Program Officially Begins: Monday, June 1, 2018
End of Summer Celebration: Monday, August 13, 6–8pm MANDATORY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.