Oklahoma Gardening School
Thanks to everyone who joined us and our sponsors! See you next year.
2019 Oklahoma Gardening School: Presented by Devon Energy and The Meinders Foundation
Growing Beautiful, Successful and Low-Maintenance Herb Gardens
Myriad Botanical Gardens’ annual Oklahoma Gardening School is the state’s premier annual horticultural symposium designed for home gardeners and professional horticulturists, garden designers and landscape architects. Each year the Oklahoma Gardening School showcases local and national experts in gardening, plant selection, and garden design. Their illustrated talks and Q&A discussions help participants learn how to create and maintain more sustainable gardens in Oklahoma.
The 2019 Gardening School theme is Growing Beautiful, Successful and Low-Maintenance Herb Gardens. Speakers will inspire as they demonstrate how to grow purposeful herb gardens through adaptive designs, proper plant selection, and precise cultivation and maintenance practices to produce the finest aromatic, culinary, and therapeutic benefits for a healthier and more bountiful gardening experience.
- TLC Garden Center & Grooms Irrigation
- American Plant Products, Calvert’s Plant Interiors, Kitty and Richard Champlin, Minick Materials, and Total Environment
- Plant Wisdom Garden Center
MATTHEW BENSON Balmville, NY
- Matthew is a writer, photographer, author and organic farmer whose work focuses on issues of food, sustainability, and organics. He is the owner of Stonegate Farm in New York’s Hudson River Valley, where he cultivates organic vegetables, historic fruit, raw honey, and medicinal flowers and herbs. His farm has been featured in The New York Times, Better Homes & Gardens, Organic Gardening, and the television show This Old House, among others.
HOLLY SHIMIZU Glen Echo, Maryland
- Holly is a nationally recognized horticulturist with a specialty in herbs and herb gardens. She was the first curator of The National Herb Garden at the U.S. National Arboretum in Washington, D.C., executive director of the U.S. Botanic Garden, and for more than 10 years was a host of the popular Victory Garden on PBS. Currently, Holly is involved in creating a new herb garden in Lewes, Delaware.
JENNY WEGLEY Dallas, Texas
- Jenny is vice president of horticulture operations at Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden. She has been recognized as one of 40 industry professionals under the age of 40 who help determine the future of horticulture. Jenny’s creativity and knowledge of plant trials have circulated in numerous industry publications throughout her career.
LORI COATS Tuttle, Oklahoma
- Lori is an Oklahoma Master Gardener who has been featured in Oklahoma Gardener Magazine and Edible OKC Magazine. She is an herbalist who owns My Raggedy Herbs, a teaching garden that demonstrates backyard kitchen gardening for medicinal and culinary purposes.