Myriad Botanical Gardens brings movies, fitness, music, workshops and more to Downtown OKC
Myriad Botanical Gardens packs the July calendar with tons of outdoor excitement, from crafting and learning activities and fitness fun, to concerts under the stars. Every day offers a new chance to spend quality time in downtown’s most beautiful destination — whether it’s SUP Yoga or spreading out blankets for SONIC Movie Nights, Myriad Botanical Gardens is the place to get active, build new experiences and celebrate summer in the city.
July in the Gardens
- July 3 – August 11, Monday – Friday, 10am – Noon
- Children’s Garden Porch
- Drop-in activities; $2 suggested donation per child
- *No activities on Tuesday, July 4 for the holiday
Come to the Children’s Garden for some fun activities that explore the world of plants. Make-it Mondays, Tasty Tuesdays, Reading Wednesdays, “Think Green” Thursdays and Find-it Fridays. Groups of 10 or more please contact Lily Christman, at (405) 445-5162, for more information about group activities.
SONIC Movie Night presented by SONIC, America’s Drive-In
- Wednesday, July 5 to July 26
- Great Lawn and Bandshell
- 8pm Pre-show festivities
- 9pm Movie begins
SONIC Summer Movies at Myriad Botanical Gardens, a much-loved summer tradition is back. Activities, food and lots of fun returns each Wednesday, July 5 to July 26, on the Great Lawn. Thanks to SONIC Drive-In these movies are completely FREE. Come early to get a great seat. Bring a picnic or enjoy food from our line-up of food trucks. Movies start at 9 pm. with pre-fun starting around 8 p.m. Participants using blankets will sit one side, lawn chairs to the other side.
*Due to MAPS 3 streetcar construction, Sheridan will be narrowed. All food trucks will be moved to Hudson.
- Wednesday, July 12
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Food Vendors: Big Truck Tacos, Phill Me Up Cheesesteaks, Cutie Pies, Kona Ice and Pitchfork in the Park
- Wednesday, July 19, Moonrise Kingdom
Food Vendors: Lalo’s Taco’s, Parking Lot Party, Metro Minis, Snow S’more and Pitchfork in the Park
- Wednesday, July 26, 42 The Jackie Robinson Story (closed caption provided)
Food Vendors: The Great Panini, I Don’t Know I Don’t Care, Uptown Candy, Snow S’more and Pitchfork in the Park
Barre3 workout in the Gardens
- Monday, July 10, 7pm
- Great Lawn and Band shell
- $5 suggested donation
Barre3 returns to the Gardens for another season of community outdoor fitness. A $5 suggested donation will be requested to continue our growth of Myriad Botanical Gardens. Other dates include: August 7 at 7 p.m., September 11 at 6 p.m. and October 2 at 6pm.
- Tuesdays, July 11, 18, 25, 5:45pm
- Sponsored by Tinker Federal Credit Union
- Late arrivals not accepted after 5:50pm
- Outdoors or in the Terrace Room depending on weather
- Members $5; Nonmembers $10
- Must be 16 and older
- *No yoga on July 4 due to holiday
This is an all-levels class led by Lisa Woodward from This Land Yoga. Class participants should bring a yoga mat and water. Meet in the south lobby for check-in each week. Drop in for a session or two or enjoy the entire series.
BUG OUT. Lady Bug Release and Mitey Insect Safari
- Friday, July 14, 10am – 2pm
- Crystal Bridge Conservatory, South Lobby and Garden Room
- Members pay $3 per container of lady bugs;
- Nonmembers pay entry fee into the Crystal Bridge and $3 per container of lady bugs
- All Ages Welcome
Help us release thousands of polka-dotted hungry helpers in our Conservatory so they can chow down on pests that are bugging our tropical plants. Create a lady bug craft, check out the Insect Safari to see bugs up close and chat with Bob Sober, whose giant bug photos will be on exhibit in the South Lobby. Ladybugs will be available for release on a first-come, first-served basis. Limit one container per person.
Dancing in the Gardens featuring Hip Hop
- Seasonal Plaza by Pitchfork in the Park
- Friday, July 14, 7-10pm
- FREE, All Ages Welcome
Join us as we transform the Seasonal Plaza into an urban dance space. You all voted and chose Hip Hop for our final dancing event. Beginning at 7pm, instructors from 3Sixty Dance Studio will give a Hip Hop dance demonstration followed by a FREE lesson for all. At 8pm, our DJ, Brian Smith, will crank up the tunes to get the dancing started. Drink and food specials will be offered to highlight the night. It’s 90s night. Wear your favorite 90s attire to celebrate the night.
Six-Legged Science; a Bug Safari
- Saturday, July 22, 10 – 11am
- Water Plaza Room and Children’s Garden
- Members $3; Nonmembers $5
- Best for ages 5-9
- Register by Tuesday, July 11
Join us for a morning of learning and investigation as we delve into the wide world of bugs. We’ll explore what really makes an insect an insect, then discuss their habits and where they make their homes. Finally, we’ll head outside to the Children’s Garden for a bug safari to observe and make sketches of what we find.
Painting in the Gardens
Join Wine and Palette at the Gardens to create a unique piece of art. You can choose between the Folk Fest Banjo-includes a banjo, guitar and mandolin or the Southern Rockers piece to be created on a 16×20 canvas.
Great Lawn Folk Festival
- Sponsored by Ad Astra Foundation
- Saturday, July 22, 7:30pm
- Great Lawn and Bandshell
- FREE, All ages welcome
- VIP Tickets $35: receive one drink ticket and front row reserved area seating
Join us for a music filled night under the stars. The evening will kick off with local band, Steelwind, and at 8:30 p.m. our headliner, Dom Flemons, will take the stage. Dom Flemons is a Grammy Award-winning musician, singer-songwriter and slam poet. Flemons is also a founding member of the Carolina Chocolate Drops. The friendship of co-songwriters, Blake Parks and Michael Henneberry of Steelwind, continues to fuel their creative force in writing their all-original bluegrass songs with tight harmonies and soulful instrumentation.
Come enjoy some great music and great food in beautiful scenic backdrop. Bring a picnic or enjoy food from Pitchfork in the Park or from our line-up of food trucks including: Phill Me Up Cheesesteaks, Blue Donkey Tacos, Healthy Hippo, Metro Minis and Katie Bugs Shaved Ice. Holloway Restaurant Group will be selling beer and wine onsite.
The Future Clear: Pyramid Tour
- July 24, 8:30-10:30pm
- Great Lawn
The community is invited to come to the Gardens to welcome, embrace and celebrate the ideals of the Pyramid Tour on the Great Lawn. Participants are encouraged to leave their phone or other screens at home and just come together, under the evening sky, with a blanket or chair to on the Great Lawn grass while listening to soothing, calming vibrations of Tibetan Bowl Music played on speakers. This soothing music traditionally has a meditative and highly relaxing and centering quality. Free and open to the public.
Outdoor Dining Series—Summer Vegetarian Dinner from Chef Ryan Parrot
- Friday, July 28, 7-9pm
- Meinders Terrace
- Members $65; Nonmembers $75
- Must be 21 or older to attend: Wine included thanks a generous donation from the Arnall Family Foundation
Join us in the Meinders Terrace for an intimate dinner under the stars. Chef Ryan Parrot from Picasso Café is whipping up a Summer Vegetarian Dinner. Limited seating is available; please register by Thursday, July 27.
Menu for the evening includes the following:
- King Oyster Mushroom Scallop: kale pine nut risotto, charred scallion, pickled radish and aged balsamic
- Heirloom Tomato-Asiago Bisque: truffled eggplant frites and basil oil
- Panzanella: Artisan bread, burrata and roasted bell
- Spaghetini: pistachios, dill, charred tomato and goat cheese
- Saffron Panna Cotta: brandy poached peaches, lavender roasted fig and honey cardamom fluid gel
Gardens Walking Tour
- Saturday, July 29, 10am
- Last Saturday of Every Month
- South Lobby and Garden Grounds
- Walkups Welcome
Join us to expand your Oklahoma plant knowledge and get great ideas for your yard. Each month changes as the plants grow through the seasons; in July we’ll discuss plants for water conservation. Can’t make it for the guided tour? Pick up a self-guided handout in our South Lobby.
Create a Wildlife Friendly Backyard
- Saturday, July 29, 10–11am
- Terrace Room and Children’s Garden
- Members $6; Nonmembers $8
- Best for ages 6 to 10
- Register by Tuesday, July 25
Even in a small backyard, you can create a wonderful home to provide cover, food and water for wildlife like birds, butterflies, squirrels and more. Using the Children’s Garden Wildlife Habitat as our outdoor classroom, we’ll play games and explore to learn what creatures need in their habitat and how you can create a home for them in any size area. Parents, you’ll head home with information on how to certify your habitat through the National Wildlife Foundation.
Growing Cool Season Vegetables in Your Fall Garden
- Saturday, July 29, 1 – 3pm
- Terrace Room; Lori Coats, My Raggedy Herbs
- Member $10 ; Nonmember $15
- Register by Tuesday, July 25
Fall is one of the best times for an edible garden in Oklahoma but to have one, you actually need to start thinking about it in July so you can plant it in August. Join us to discover all the cool season greens, garlics and root vegetables you can grow and enjoy into the colder months. Each participant will learn tips for growing and harvesting in the fall and will start seeds for three fall crops.
Arts Council of Oklahoma City’s Sunday Twilight Concerts
- Sundays, 7:30pm
- Great Lawn and Band Shell
Arts Council of OKC returns with the 2017 Sunday Twilight Concert Series that takes place at Myriad Gardens Great Lawn Stage and Bicentennial Park. The schedule has been released! Download the schedule here.
- Sunday, July 2, The Allie Lauren Project
- Sunday, July 9, Dylan and Stephen Salewon
- Sunday, July 16, Original Flow and the Fervent Route, and Adam & Jabee
- Sunday, July 23, On a Whim
- Sunday, July 30, The Lunar Laugh
COMING UP IN AUGUST MEOWS!
Internet Cat Video Festival
- Presented by Midtown Vets
- Great Lawn and Bandshell
- Caturday, August 12
- Pre-Show Fun starts at 7:30pm
- Movie Screening at 9pm
The Internet Cat Video Festival is back by popular demand! It is a raucous, 75-minute romp through the Internet’s finest cat video offerings and the shared hilarity with thousands of cat lovers is not to be missed. Film starts at 9 p.m. but put on your whiskers and cat ears and enjoy pre-screening festivities complete with food trucks, live music, drinks from Holloway Restaurant Group and more. Food Vendors: Hall’s Pizza Kitchen, Healthy Hippo, Brown’s Kitchen, Parking Lot Party, Katie Bugs Shaved Ice, Cute Pies, Fresh Ice and Pitchfork in the Park.