The Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program is a ten week summer experience that provides high school students with an opportunity to gain leadership and communication skills, practical horticulture experience and be a part of a team. Teen volunteers will work in our Children’s Garden on educational walk-up programs, assist with educational and public events and receive one-on-one training from our expert horticulture staff. While working in this exciting, fast-paced environment, teens will have the opportunity to earn volunteer hours, give back to the community and make new memories and friends.
“I would highly recommend this because it is a great way to serve your community, get volunteer hours and it was just super fun.” – Dalton
“It helps your leadership skills and it helps your social skills as well.” – Emily
“I learned how to mulch, how to trim various plants, how to better interact with people of all ages, and how to handle many responsibilities.” – Ella
“Everything is always laid out perfectly, anyone could understand it.” – Jada
“Thank you for an amazing experience. I will definitely be back next year!” – Rylliee
Qualifications of VolunTEEN Applicants
- Students entering grades 9 – 12.
- Dedicated and have the time to commit to the Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program, including attending all meetings, trainings and scheduled hours.
- Open to interacting with visitors of all ages.
- Comfortable speaking in front of a group, giving instructions, etc.
- Able to get along well with other like-minded high school students and work well in a team atmosphere.
- Interested in learning more about the Myriad Gardens and horticulture.
- Submit a completed VolunTeen Application, VolunTeen Commitment Form and a reference from an adult not related to the applicant that can speak specifically to leadership and volunteer experiences. (A reference form is provided below.)
VolunTEEN Program Schedule
The 2017 VolunTeen Program is June 5 – August 14, 2017. If accepted to the program, each teen will be required to volunteer approximately one (1) shift per week to work in the Children’s Garden teaching Weekly Walk-ups, two (2) shifts over the ten (10) weeks with our horticulture staff learning about maintaining the Gardens and eight (8) public events or activities of their choice.
Shifts for Weekly Walk-ups are three (3) hours in length and are on Mondays through Fridays from 9:30am – 12:30pm. Horticulture shifts are three (3) hours in length and are available Monday – Friday from 1:00 to 4:00pm. Event Calendars will be available that show all of the summer public events and activities and each VolunTEEN will make their own selections. Shifts for Public Events and activities vary in length and days of the week.
Timeline and Dates for the 2018 VolunTEEN Program
Dates and times for the Summer 2018 VolunTEEN program will be available by Jan 1, 2018.