The Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program is a ten week summer experience that provides high school students with an opportunity to gain leadership and communication skills, practical horticulture experience and be a part of a team. Teen volunteers will work in our Children’s Garden on educational walk-up programs, assist with educational and public events and receive one-on-one training from our expert horticulture staff. While working in this exciting, fast-paced environment, teens will have the opportunity to earn volunteer hours, give back to the community and make new memories and friends.
Qualifications of VolunTeen Applicants
- Students entering grades 9 – 12.
- Dedicated and have the time to commit to the Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program, including attending all meetings, trainings and scheduled hours.
- Open to interacting with visitors of all ages.
- Comfortable speaking in front of a group, giving instructions, etc.
- Able to get along well with other like-minded high school students and work well in a team atmosphere.
- Interested in learning more about the Myriad Gardens and horticulture.
- Submit a completed VolunTeen Application, VolunTeen Commitment Form and a reference from an adult not related to the applicant that can speak specifically to leadership and volunteer experiences. (A reference form is provided below.)
VolunTeen Program Schedule
The 2017 VolunTeen Program is June 5 – August 14, 2017. If accepted to the program, each teen will be required to volunteer one (1) shift per week to work in the Children’s Garden teaching Weekly Walk-ups, two (2) shifts over the ten (10) weeks with our horticulture staff learning about maintaining the Gardens and eight (8) public events or activities of their choice.
Shifts for Weekly Walk-ups are three (3) hours in length and are on Mondays through Fridays from 9:30am – 12:30pm. Horticulture shifts are three (3) hours in length and are available Monday – Friday from 1:00 to 4:00pm. Event Calendars will be available that show all of the summer public events and activities and each VolunTEEN will make their own selections. Shifts for Public Events and activities vary in length and days of the week.
Timeline and Dates for the 2017 VolunTEEN Program
- Deadline to submit applications: Friday, March 10, 5pm
- There will be two days of interviews: Monday, March 20, 4 to 6pm & Thursday, March 23, 4 to 6pm
- Notification of Acceptance into program: (They will be notified by phone & email) Monday, March 27, by 5pm
- Meet and Greet Kick-off Meeting: Monday, April 24, 4:30 to 6pm (2nd Floor Conf. Room) MANDATORY
- VolunTEEN Training: Wednesday, May 31, 1-5pm (2nd Floor Conf. Room) MANDATORY
- Program Officially Begins: (First Day of VolunTEEN work) Monday, June 5, 8am
- End of Summer Celebration: Monday, August 14, 6-8pm (2nd Floor Conf. Room) MANDATORY
If you are entering grades 9 – 12 and are interested in learning more about the Myriad Gardens VolunTeen Program, please contact Lori Coats at 405.445.7087 or email email@example.com. You must fill out the forms below: