The Myriad Botanical Gardens offer learning opportunities for students of all ages. The primary purpose of these programs is to help kindle a sense of curiosity about the world that we live in. Classes and tours are interdisciplinary, hands-on, and support state and national standards. Below you will find a list of class descriptions offered for the 2014-2015 school year as well as guided tour information and tax exempt group rate costs (10+ students). The Myriad Botanical Gardens requests that there be one chaperone per ten students. Please contact (405) 445-7094 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Weekly Walk-ups on the Childrens Garden Porch
- Monday—Friday, 10am to Noon
- Ends August 21
- $2 suggested donation
Drop by anytime to complete a 15-30min activity that explores the plant world around us! Open to all with a suggested donation of $2/child.
- Make-it Mondays: Get your twig on! Make a fun craft using sticks and other materials in creative ways.
- Tasty Tuesdays: Taste and make! Combine different shapes of veggies, fruits, and herbs to create edible animals like cucumber bumble bees and cauliflower sheep. Enjoy a snack prepared by Park House Restaurant chefs.
- Reading Wednesdays: We’ll be Bringing Books to Life by reading nature-inspired books followed by a craft or fun garden sensory walk .
- Throwback Thursdays: Kids will repurpose old items to make something useful like bird feeders from bottles or herb planters from soup cans. Materials provided, but feel free to bring your recycled items for show and tell.
- Find-it Fridays: Kids will love this self-guided scavenger hunt in the Children’s Garden. Hunt for swallowtail caterpillars, find worms, climb up in the lookout “tree house” for a game of eye spy and more.
Pre- SONIC Summer Movies Story Telling
- Wednesdays, July 8-August 19, 8:15 – 8:45pm
- Sheridan Lawn
- Best for ages 4-9
Summer nights are magical and stories can enhance the magic. Bring the family and join us for story-time on the Sheridan Lawn this July and August. Just before 9pm, head back to your spot for SONIC Summer Movie Nights!
SONIC Summer Movie Nights
Wednesdays, July 8-August 19, 9pm
Presented by SONIC, America’s Drive-In.
Bring chairs or a blanket and enjoy the stars and show!
- July 29: Wizard of Oz When a tornado rips through Kansas, Dorothy (Judy Garland) and her dog, Toto, are whisked away in their house to the magical land of Oz. They follow the Yellow Brick Road toward the Emerald City to meet the Wizard, and en route they meet a Scarecrow (Ray Bolger) that needs a brain, a Tin Man (Jack Haley) missing a heart, and a Cowardly Lion (Bert Lahr) who wants courage. The wizard asks the group to bring him the broom of the Wicked Witch of the West (Margaret Hamilton) to earn his help.
- August 5: Finding Nemo Marlin (Albert Brooks), a clown fish, is overly cautious with his son, Nemo (Alexander Gould), who has a foreshortened fin. When Nemo swims too close to the surface to prove himself, he is caught by a diver, and horrified Marlin must set out to find him. A blue reef fish named Dory (Ellen DeGeneres) — who has a really short memory — joins Marlin and complicates the encounters with sharks, jellyfish, and a host of ocean dangers. Meanwhile, Nemo plots his escape from a dentist’s fish tank.
- August 12: ET After a gentle alien becomes stranded on Earth, the being is discovered and befriended by a young boy named Elliott (Henry Thomas). Bringing the extraterrestrial into his suburban California house, Elliott introduces E.T., as the alien is dubbed, to his brother and his little sister, Gertie (Drew Barrymore), and the children decide to keep its existence a secret. Soon, however, E.T. falls ill, resulting in government intervention and a dire situation for both Elliott and the alien.
- August 19: Guardians of the Galaxy Brash space adventurer Peter Quill (Chris Pratt) finds himself the quarry of relentless bounty hunters after he steals an orb coveted by Ronan, a powerful villain. To evade Ronan, Quill is forced into an uneasy truce with four disparate misfits: gun-toting Rocket Raccoon, treelike-humanoid Groot, enigmatic Gamora, and vengeance-driven Drax the Destroyer. But when he discovers the orb’s true power and the cosmic threat it poses, Quill must rally his ragtag group to save the universe.